Wednesday, August 1, 2012

SInner? Guilty AS charged!



Recently I have caught a little slack from some friends about an event I planned. I won't go into details. For the most part I understand where they are coming from and I appreciate the accountability, but then there are those who have been bible thumping me in the head till I can't see all the fallen angels spinning around it clearly! I have prayed, prayed and prayed about this & I can't shake the feeling that God is awesome and will finish the good things he starts in us.

Tonight when I was reading with our girls before bed, we read the story of Zacchaeus. And let me tell, God spoke volumes to this heart!

For those of you who are unfamiliar with the story, you can read it in Luke 19:1-10. I'll try to break it down for ya!

Zacchaeus was the chief tax collector. Not a popular gig and the way he went about it, made him the little bitty bully no one liked! Being that he was the Chief tax collector, he was wealthy...taking money and keepin' some. Maybe some extra than he ought.

Zacch heard Jesus was coming through Jericho, and he wanted to see Jesus. But since he was too short to see over the crowd, he ran ahead and climbed up a sycamore fig tree. 

When Jesus came to the tree, he looked up and said, " Zacchaeus, come down from that tree, for I must stay at your house today!" ZAcch was SO happy, he welcomed Jesus gladly! But...this is where we come in ( christians)...

Everyone following Jesus seen this and they started to mutter and say, " He is gone to be the guest of a sinner!" 

OH! The humanity! A...a...sinner?!! Well, thank heavens I can read this and know I am NOT a sinner and I am PERFECT! ( *insert sarcasm*) Dirty little Zacchaeus! What with all his sins! Jesus could have went to any of those perfect, wonderful, apple pie in the oven, macaroni casserole on the table, button up - turtle neck, bible totin' christians houses! But to chose a sinner! Come on, Jesus! Really?!?

Yes. Really.

There are so many amazing things in just these TEN verses, I can't even write a short blog! SO bear with me!

Zacch was a sinner...and believe it or not, no matter how hard you try and 'pretend' to be flawless...you too are a sinner ( hopefully saved by grace!).

Zacch, not knowing Jesus, was EAGER to see him. He ran ahead and climbed a tree just to get a glimpse of Jesus Christ. Love.

And in walks our savior. He lovingly chose a sinner. Not just Zacch, but all of us. He longs to come into our hearts and homes and be a guest. Not for us to be perfect, but for us to be eager to see him and gladly welcome him in.

Jesus didn't just sit in the temple, doors locked, in his weekly bible study, worrying about the next church activity, or what color to paint the walls. Jesus went out. He walked among us. Yes...sinners. He didn't shy away from those he died to save. He walked with them, showing love and teaching about his Father. He did so in a way that even a ruthless man, like Zacch would seek him out.

Who's seeking you out?
Have you been Jesus in how you love others?
Have you popped your christian bubble and stepped out into the world to be that love to someone? The love that could lead them to Jesus?
Or are we too afraid to get 'sinner' on us?

After Zacch heard what everyone was saying about Jesus going to a sinners house, he proclaimed he would give half his possessions to the poor and if he cheated anyone, he would give back FOUR TIMES the amount he took!!

Zacch was so thrilled and fired up about the thought of Jesus coming to his house, he stopped doing evil and made right what he had done wrong!

I love that passion! How many times does Jesus knock at our doors heart and we say, " Not now Lord...I'm in the middle of a good sin right now!" 

Zacch was an example. He stopped immediatley and turned from that which was wrong. I LOVE THIS GUY! 

Jesus reached out to his heart and Zacch saw that. Jesus didn't slam the door in his face and mock him with the word 'sinner'. Jesus asked to be his guest!

Am I being Jesus? Am I staying away from people that just want to be invited in? Am I getting out of my box labeled " Sunday School Only" and going to where the people are? Am I being Jesus to someone who would do anything just to know God is head over heels - madly in love with them?

Simple fact ( I made up!) : Probably about 98 % of the lost will not walk into your church, come up to you and say, " Hey! How do I have a relationship with Jesus?" 

That's why you have to be Jesus to all the Zacchs.

No comments:

Post a Comment