Tuesday, September 28, 2010

The MaDnEsS of Motherhood

Being a mommy, mom, momma, (all apply here & I hear them about 123,978,994,364 times a day!) is a task and a joy, which one comes first just depends on how long they napped!
Recently, while trying to 'parent' my three year old and feeling a little ( Okay! ALOT!!!) defeated, I questioned if what I am working so hard for with her was even sinking in.
She still bites...check! She still chews the drywall off the wall...check! She still grabs my caffeinated beverages and chugs them as fast as they can be chugged before getting busted...check! She still screams and forgets to use her 'indoor voice'...check! She still helps her self to whatever she wants in the fridge...check! She still stands in the tub...check! She still has the power to drive me NUTS...check!Check! AND check!
Yep, at some point you start feeling like the last 3 years have been wasted in vain!
My three year old has the spirit of a wild horse! It truly is fantastic! She goes from 0-60 in 5 seconds and has the energy of Jillian on "The Biggest Loser". She'll make friends with anyone, does not matter the skin color, race, mental ability, and if you have a cute son, she will propose marriage on the spot!
That being said, as a mom I think it is so important we recognize our children's God given personality and refine the part we think is from the devil ;)
Last time I check, I still haven't reached 'perfection level' and am still pretty far from it...so why am I expecting perfection from my three year old?
Goodness gracious, what if she embarrasses me? What if she says something rude? What if she ...what if she is allowed to embrace who she is, with a loving mommy coach to guide her and help mold that beautiful personality into something that God can use to change the world? Just 'what if?'
How have you viewed your kid's personality? Is it an embarrassment that your child might have a different personality than yours? Or in some cases, we see so much of what we hate about ourselves in our kids we spend countless hours trying to 'teach them' to be the person we are not.
Don't give up on molding your child's heart to be a kind, compassionate, loving little being, but give up on trying to make your kid a mindless statue that has lost all creativity because they are so afraid to express themselves...and a lil' pre-warning, that expression may come as paint on your basement walls!
I will still discipline her when she is naughty, but I will really try to enjoy every piece of that wild child that keeps our house full of fingerprints and empty soda cans.

2 comments:

  1. Great Post Shay! What a great encouragement. Loved reading your blog. ~Jessica

    ReplyDelete
  2. I SOOO look forward to your blogging post, once again-another GREAT perspective blog. Helps me (I'm sure moms worldwide too!) remember to stay down to earth while living with Heavenly goals! Love it...

    ReplyDelete