Friday, April 1, 2011

Breakfast at Tiffany's...or My house!

I used to sleep until the last minute, drag my buns outta bed, when the first little peeper started yelling, begrudgingly moan that I need, TEN MORE MINUTES ( ok! I still moan about that!) and plop some sugar flakes with red dye #5 and high fructose corn syrup things called marsh mellows, into a bowl, let the kids eat infront of morning cartoons(maybe that's why I was crabby, Barney at 7:30 a.m. just ain't happenin'!) and wondering why they became so hyper after breakfast! Hmmmm....I wonder?!?! 

Since my oldest started full days at school, my time with her has become very thought out and precious! I have really wondered how I can make sure she starts her day out right, here's what I came up with;

1. A good breakfast!
Some people may say it's spoiling them, but I want my kids to eat good, so for breakfast, I become a Restaurant! I know! I know! Bad mommy!!! But, I love it , so judge me! 

I ask the girls the night before what they would like for breakfast, and mark it down on a little chart I have. The options are magnetic and stick to the fridge, so they can be easily changed daily.

 Here's the chart.
 The different breakfast magnets are super easy to take off and put on! And that way , I remember in the morning what they wanted! 


 I made this chart awhile back, I have added and taken away some things. No more pop tarts. The eggo's are home made , whole grain waffles, and sometimes I don't let them pick, I just make a batch of muffin's or a bunch of cheesy scrambled eggs!




This is the shopping bag! When I run out of a certain item, I put that magnet into the bag, so next time I run to the store, I can see what I need to grab quickly, without digging through the freezer or cupboards!
 




 This is the back and the little piece of magnet I used to keep it easy to replace!






I love knowing that I sent her off for a long day of school with a healthy breakfast! I also cook ahead if I have time. Pancakes/waffles freeze really well! I will also prep eggs at night or bake muffin's once the kids go to sleep! That way, I may, if God's smiles down on me, get that extra TEN MINUTES!

2. Time at the table...
I challenge the kids everyday with simple questions like, " How can you be a blessing today?" " Who can you show God's love,too?" " Tell me one friend that you want to be extra kind, too?" "How can I pray for you today?" Things like that get their mind going and they LOVE to share how they are going to let God use them that day and how I can pray for them! And then at night time, I ask them if they did what they said they where going to do! And surprisingly they DO!

3. Read God's word...
I keep a little devotional Bible for "God's Little Princesses." by the table and read a page or two out of that at breakfast and dinner. Again, it keeps us at the table longer and gets them thinking about things other than themselves. And we all need that little reminder,to think of others and not ourselves! 

4. RUSH! RUSH! RUSH!
I'm not joking...sadly!
Then we usually quickly get ready and leave! That is why you will see me, driving like Cruella De Ville, but less puppies and more babies, swerving into the school parking lot, watching mothers grab their children and run for safety. Jump out in pajama bottoms and messed up hair, maybe matching shoes? If you're lucky! And drop my full bellied and hopefully full spirited child off for a day in the world!
* SIDE NOTE: Sunday mornings ALWAYS DONUTS! Nothin' say's, " Can't wait to get up for church!" Like knowing there is a big box of favorite donuts waiting in the kitchen for my kid's! Easiest way to get them moving on a cold, Sunday morning! PLUS- I get to send them to Sunday school and let the teachers deal with them! Mu Ha Ha Ha Ha!!!! 

No comments:

Post a Comment